Thursday, December 3, 2009

Priceless....?


Running Shoes: $97
Entrance Fee: $30
Gas for road trip: $50
Doctor's appointment: $15
Insoles for feet: $21
Not being able to run after all that: Priceless Disappointment!
And so the saga of my life continues. My desire to be an amazing runner and fit in with the cool kids in my ward has come to an unexpected halt. About three weeks ago I signed up for my first race! 10K in the Sun in MOAB!!! I was so dang excited. I was finally making it to Moab, I was going down with a friend, and I was going to actually run my first race. So I signed up online and immediately went running. About three miles into my run my left foot started to hurt. This has happened before but it was worst this time. Course I was only about half way through my run and so I finished my loop home. By the next day I could barely walk because both feet were killing me. Plantar fasciitis I thought....CRAP! So I took a week and a half off. I iced my feet (which you know how much I hate being cold so that is huge), I lived on Ibuprofen, I talked to people about it, I did exercises, I bought real running shoes, and I tried to be patient. Finally my feet stopped hurting so I started to break myself in really slow. I ran 2.5 miles on Wednesday. Everything was good. Friday I ran 4.5. I was fine while I was running but afterward the pain and limping returned. "Oh well, I have been through worse pain than this is and I really want to run my race!" was my attitude. Enter Mackenzie from stage left! Dear Kenz is just starting to walk without crutches after a year of serious foot problems. She begged me not to run. I tried to ignore her but her pleas were so sincere i decided it would only be fair if I did one thing. I would go to the doctor. If the doctor told me I would do serious damage if I ran the race, I wouldn't run. If he said it would hurt like non other but that's pretty much it I would run. So I went to the doctor. DUDE, what is it with doctors and poking and prodding when you have established that it already hurts?! When I freakin hurt my back in that stupid car accident the doctor kept touching my back. STOP! This doctor tried to give me a deep tissue massage and dude, if I wasn't limping when I got to the doctor I sure was by the time I left. Then he announced...Plantar fasciitis with a possible stress fracture. Lamen's terms (is that how you spell that?) the thick tissue over my muscle on the bottom of my foot is swollen and upset...and my bone has a hairline crack in it. So me being me I turn to the doctor and ask...so can I run my race this weekend? With a look of disbelief (he knows I'm a nurse at this point and that I should know better) says "NO! Absolutely not!". Realizing that I'm not completely convinced he says if you run you could cause permanent damage like scar tissue and further cracking of the bone which could effect you the rest of your life...and i would have to be put into a cast. DANG! So I debated for a day or two what to do (unbelievably stubborn, that's me!) but in the end I decided that there will be more races in the future if I wait. So in 6-8 weeks I can start to run again. Course I have to start low and go slow...meaning 1 mile for a week...then two....etc. I'm going to die. I hate starting slow and I know I can run more. Patience...seems to be the story of my life.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'm so sorry that you have to wait, but yeah, I think you made a good choice. I had a random pain for about a week on the top muscle on my foot once when I started taking an Irish dance class--but there was no stress fracture to accompany it. You are right, there will be other races. And way to train for a 10k--one day I want to run one...but not today

Tarah said...

Oh Sue. Just think about all these stories that you are storing up for your life! Great life experiences...and hey, maybe a 'could be awkward' road trip was avoided...I hope your foot heals fast and that you are able to (slowly) start running again. Although, I still don't understand the whole running thing...I probably never will either.

Tarah said...

Alright...so, I know your totally busy, but come on....a new blog would be nice.