Monday, June 7, 2010

No pity please!

Well kids, my sister got married. I can't believe an event that has monopolized my life for 2 months actually came to an end. But this post isn't about the wedding; that post will come when I have pictures to share. This post I write running the risk of losing friends. So before I begin let me give a forward as a pre-explanation.

Forward:
I am LDS and proud to be so. I love the gospel and I do frequently try to live it. I also don't hate married people. In fact, many of my friends and family members fall under the category of "married people" on a regular basis. I also don't write this to brag, but to explain. Last of all, this is dedicated to everyone who thinks they are a cut above everyone else because they are married. (If you are already offended or thinking I am the spawn of Satan STOP reading now cuz its only going to get worse! If you are intrigued you may keep reading.)

Background:
Fran Fran had 4 bridal showers in one month! FOUR! I, being a loyal and supportive sister, attended every single one of them. It was comical to see how many pity looks, pity taps on my shoulder, looks of disgust, and comments like, "Don't worry, you're next" I received without soliciting any! I was prepared for this...or so I thought. I held my head high, rolled my eyes, and even laughed at how ignorant people can be. However, I left one particular bridal shower in tears. That particular day I was tired and I was having a rough time accepting that my sister was getting married. Then on top of it people who should be considered friends and family condescendingly implied that I could never meet their standards and was a loser because of it. I wish I could have that moment back to tell them a few things, but I don't and I doubt they will ever read this. If I did have that moment this is probably what I would tell them.

Why I'm not a loser:
First of all, I didn't choose to be single. I didn't choose career over family. So you're right I don't have a husband or children. Hell, I don't even have a boyfriend. But let me tell you what I have done with my life in just the last year.
I graduated from BYU with a 3.9 (I didn't go to school to get married or because I wasn't married. I went to school cuz I wanted to be a nurse.)
I passed the NCLEX.
My dream job called me and asked me to interview for the job.
I currently work in the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit.
I got scuba certified and dove 60 feet below water.
I saw Wicked in San Francisco.
I had a baby named after me.
I speak two languages.
I ran a 5K and came in 17th place.
I am temple worthy and carry a current recommend.
I have long hair.
I fit into a size 2 pencil skirt.
I threw my mom a surprise 60th birthday party
I saw Colbie Caillat live in concert
I learned how to snow ski.
I go hiking regularly and LOVE IT!
I'm independent.
In summary, I am living my life. So I'm sorry if I'm not good enough for you, but save your pity for someone who needs it. Shockingly, my soul isn't damned because I'm not married and having babies.

Yeah, that's probably what I would say. Oh well.

So just to remind ya'll this isn't to rag on married people...its just a small reality check to those who assume being single is very similar to having leprosy and think we should be banished to a desert island. Actually the island part sounds pretty sweet and i'm willing to accept that as part of the "treatment" for my "condition"!

9 comments:

Mitchell Madness...or lack there of :) said...

Well, I am sorry that people are giving you a hard time. I personally think that Utah (in general) needs to calm down on the whole everyone needs to be married by 24. And good for you, what an awesome list of accomplishments! Keep living your life!

Lauralie said...

Just had to tell you how much I loved your post! and yes you are 100% right! People and I say that generally can be very ignorant on many subjects, this being one of them! And p.s. You are in a cardiac ICU! ThATS awesome! I just wish it were closer to me :)

Tarah said...

Ooo, can I come visit the island too? That does sound like fun. I can't believe you're scuba certified....talk about terrifying (of course, putting my face in the shower is terrifying, but 60 feet!) Did you see any thing down there (like fish ... shudder). Sue, half these mean people could just be jealous of all you have accomplished and the freedom you have to do what you want to do. You're awesome, you're a daughter of God, and He loves you (and so do I) Come down soon to my 110 degree weather and we'll be "cool" together (yes, I think I'm funny)

Tarah said...

And really..you can fit in a size 2 pencil skirt? Sigh....those were the days....maybe some day again.

Burlene said...

Oh Em!! I love this post....I may send it to my neice that is your age....the one you have met. I hope as our wedding (to our baby bride) this weekend does not bring her the same attitude. If it happens within MY earshot.....person beware.

Can't wait to read the blog with Fran's pics. :o)

Pls, keep being the example of that strong independant woman I wanted to become....maybe some day I will achieve too. *hug*

Jenn said...

You go girl. You should come live here, where people gasp 'you got married at 23?' I love ya Em. You are exceptional!!

Anna Wilson said...

Isn't it amazing that people always think the know exactly how your life SHOULD be. Even when you are married they are timing out babies and the development of you kids....anyway. I am proud of you and wish I was scuba certified (actually I don't, but Brady and the rest of my family do...) and wicked was awesome in LA wasn't it?!?

Chelle said...

I could kiss you right now.

Amelia said...

One of the greatest examples I know of someone who graduated from BYU and (gasp) still wasn't married, is Aunt Dianna! And look at how amazing she is! You live your life the way you feel is right. Love the attitude!!